Albany Civil Service Disability Pension Lawyer
Hurt At Work In Albany? We Fight For Injured New York Civil Servants' Rights
Injuries involving state or municipal workers in New York State's capital, Albany, are common since so many people here work for local, state or federal agencies. In most cases, such workers should be eligible to receive financial compensation for their injuries through New York's Civil Service Disability Pension program. However, obtaining such benefits can often be much harder than many people realize. That's because injured municipal workers don't automatically receive such compensation. They need to successfully apply for such benefits.
That's where we come in. The knowledgeable attorneys at Pasternack Tilker Ziegler Walsh Stanton & Romano, LLP have decades of experience handling complicated Civil Service Disability Pension cases in Albany and throughout New York State. Many of our attorneys regularly work directly with municipal labor unions and we thoroughly understand how the system works. That's why we have such a strong track record of success. We understand how the "Tier" system works and how that can affect how much money you will receive for your Disability Pension, especially in terms of the Police and Fire Retirement System (PFRS).
Filing for a civil service disability pension
Here is an overview of the steps involved in the process:
- The worker must notify their employer in writing about their intention to file for disability retirement benefits. The employer will provide the necessary forms and information.
- The worker completes the Application for Disability Retirement and submits it to the New York State and Local Retirement System (NYSLRS). The application requires detailed information about the employee's medical condition and how it impacts their ability to perform their job duties.
- The worker must provide supporting medical documentation from healthcare professionals, including physicians, specialists, and other relevant medical providers. The medical evidence should establish the existence, nature, and extent of the disabling condition.
- The NYSLRS Medical Board reviews the application and supporting medical documentation. Additional medical evaluations or consultations may be requested.
- Based on the medical evidence and the Medical Board's evaluation, the NYSLRS makes a determination regarding the worker's eligibility for disability retirement benefits.
- The worker is notified of the NYSLRS's decision in writing. If approved, the notification will outline the amount of the disability retirement benefit and any applicable terms and conditions.
If the worker’s disability claim is denied, they have the right to file an appeal within a specific timeframe. The appeal process typically involves submitting additional evidence or documentation to support their claim. The case may be reviewed by a Hearing Officer, and a hearing may be scheduled to present additional arguments or evidence.
Get an experienced civil service disability pension lawyer on your side
There’s a lot that can go wrong when filing an application for a disability pension. Deadlines have to be met, paperwork has to be completed properly, and supporting evidence needs to be provided. One mistake can result in a denial.
An experienced attorney will understand the civil service regulations and what it takes to get a claim approved. Our lawyers can help you prepare your application and review supporting medical evidence. We can communicate with the NYSLRS to respond to any questions or requests and make sure your claim moves forward.
Put Your Trust In Our Albany Civil Service Disability Pension Law Firm
There are so many different reasons why you or a loved one may qualify for a Civil Service Disability claim in Albany or elsewhere in New York. Sometimes, such injuries are due to an "exertional" injury due to a specific event or action, including lifting heavy USPS mail bags in Albany or a back injury sustained while responding to a fire in Albany County. Other times, such injuries occur due to a specific accident, including operating an Albany Police Department cruiser or slipping and falling while shoveling snow outside a public school or state government building in Albany.
Whatever the circumstances of your injury, we can help. We can help you fill out your application for civil service disability benefits. We can represent you at your New York Civil Service Disability Pension hearing. We can appeal your denied application on your behalf and appear with you in court for your Article 78 appeals hearing. We thoroughly understand how the New York Retirement System works and know what it takes to successfully file for disability benefits. Put your trust in an Albany law firm that puts your needs first. Contact us and schedule your free case evaluation at our Albany office or one of our other offices.
120 State Street
Albany, NY 12207
By Car: Take Exit 3 on Interstate 787 for US Route 9 South, US Route 20 East toward Rensselaer/Empire Plaza. Keep right and follow signs for Empire Plaza. Merge onto South Mall Arterial. Turn right onto South Swan Street. Turn right onto State Street. Turn left onto Eagle Street. Turn right onto State Street. The office is on your right.
By Train or Bus: (From the Albany, Rensselaer train station) Head south towards East Street. Turn left onto East Street. At East Street and Herrick Street, take the 114 West bus four stops to Broadway and State Street. Head south on Broadway toward State Street. Turn right on State Street. Turn left on South Pearl Street. Turn right on State Street. Destination will be on your left.