New York workers’ compensation lawyer explains rates, process for applying
NEW YORK – The maximum workers’ compensation benefit for New York workers increased by nearly 4 percent, a decision applauded by New York workers’ compensation attorney Jordan A. Ziegler of Pasternack Tilker Ziegler Walsh Stanton & Romano, LLP.
“The wage loss portion of workers’ compensation is a lifeline for injured workers,” Ziegler said. “As both wages and cost of living has increased statewide, this increase in the maximum benefit is necessary to keep pace.”
Effective this past July 1, the New York State Workers’ Compensation system will increase its new maximum weekly benefit for workers’ compensation claims to $904.74, an increase of 3.9 percent or $34.13 compared to $870.61 last year. However, obtaining benefits can be complicated. In order to receive them, it’s important to take the following steps:
- Tell your employer you were hurt at work. You have 30 days to do so.
- Inform the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB). The deadline to do so is two years.
- File a claim, even if you don’t lose time from work. Someone has to pay the medical bills and it’s typically the WCB’s insurance company’s responsibility.
- Save correspondences related to your injury, including phone records and emails. Written communication is the best way to communicate. Make copies of everything.
- When seeking medical attention, either in the nearest emergency room or a doctor’s office, ask for detailed records of your injury and prescribed treatment.
- Talk a workers’ compensation lawyer to learn more about your rights.
About Pasternack Tilker Ziegler Walsh Stanton & Romano, LLP
With 80 years of experience hearing over 100,000 cases, Pasternack Tilker Ziegler Walsh Stanton & Romano, LLP has obtained settlements totaling over a billion dollars for New Yorkers. With 100 legal professionals on staff and 11 office locations, the law firm has won numerous accolades for providing its clients with strong, reliable legal representation and has a well-earned reputation as one of the top law firms for cases involving workplace accidents, workers’ compensation and Social Security disability.