What To Do After a Work Injury in Queens, NY
Seek medical attention then consult a trusted workers’ comp attorney
Understanding what to do after a work accident in Queens, NY, can help injured employees take the right steps toward recovering maximum compensation. It can also help them avoid mistakes that could hurt their workers’ compensation claims. Two of the most important steps after a work accident are seeking immediate medical attention and consulting an experienced Queens workers’ compensation lawyer.
Here’s what employees injured on the job in Queens need to know about steps to take after a New York work accident. This is general information that may not apply to all work accidents. If you have been injured on the job, contact Pasternack Tilker Ziegler Walsh Stanton & Romano LLP for a free case consultation. Our work injury law firm serves Queens and all of New York. We can provide you with personalized information about your case, answer your questions, and guide you through the process of seeking compensation.
The most dangerous jobs in Queens
Certain jobs pose a higher risk of workplace injuries than others due to factors such as heavy machinery or equipment, working at heights, and exposure to hazardous materials like asbestos. Physical demands, training, and experience also contribute to the risk. In Queens, high-risk industries for worker injuries, illnesses, and fatalities include:
- Construction and specialty trades – painters, electricians, HVAC, carpenters, plumbers, roofers, welders, etc.
- Excavation and extraction
- Retail and food service
- Transportation and warehousing
- Waste management
- Pest control
- Building and ground maintenance
In New York, injured employees are entitled to workers’ compensation, a no-fault insurance program that covers their medical expenses, partial lost wages, and certain other benefits for permanent and disabling injuries. But you need to take the right steps to protect your potential claim.
What to do after a Queens work accident
Injured workers in Queens are eligible for workers' compensation, but to have a successful claim, they must meet legal requirements and deadlines. That’s why it’s so important for injured workers to turn to experienced New York workers’ compensation attorneys to fight for their rights and keep their claims on track. As your lawyer, we can handle the paperwork while you focus on healing.
Although every case is different, here's a general guide on what to do after a work accident in Queens, NY.
- Seek medical attention for the injury immediately. Even if you feel "okay,” you may be seriously injured. Always get a thorough medical examination after a work accident. Remember, in New York, you are generally free to choose your doctor for a work injury – Queens has over a dozen hospitals and numerous other medical facilities, and injured workers can take advantage of those options.
- Attend all medical appointments and follow the doctor's orders. Failure to do so may be used as an argument to deny benefits.
- Report the injury to your employer as soon as possible. There is a time limit and delaying this step could result in a claim being denied. Put the report in writing so that you have a record.
- Make sure you write down what happened and keep a record of your symptoms.
- Get names and contact information for witnesses.
- File a complete and accurate workers' compensation claim (Employee Claim Form C-3) with the New York State Workers' Compensation Board. A lawyer can handle this on your behalf.
- Consult with an experienced Queens workers' compensation attorney to ensure that legal requirements are met. Lawyers with a deep knowledge about how the NY workers’ compensations system works can take aggressive action to get injured workers the money they deserve.
Depending on the circumstances, you may have additional options after a work injury, such as a third-party lawsuit or insurance claim. An attorney can investigate the accident, explain all your legal options, and work with you to come up with a legal strategy to pursue maximum compensation for your work injury.
In Queens, experience with the workers’ compensation system gets results
After a work accident, collecting benefits and compensation can be complex – even more so if a claim is denied or delayed or insurance companies lowball settlements. More than 15,000 claims are “controverted” or otherwise challenged in New York every year.
At Pasternack Tilker Ziegler Walsh Stanton & Romano LLP, we understand the challenges faced by injured workers and their families. For more than 80 years, our workers’ compensation lawyers and work injury attorneys have fought for the maximum compensation of injured workers in Queens and throughout the state. We have recovered billions of dollars in benefits and awards for over 10,000 clients. Find out how we can help you.
If you were injured or a loved one was killed in a Queens, NY work accident, don't hesitate to contact us for a free consultation. We can answer your questions, discuss your legal options, and explain our contingency fee – you pay nothing unless we win. A member of our team is available to hear from you any time, day or night. Contact us for your free evaluation today.
Click here to download a PDF of this article, "What To Do After a Work Injury in Queens, NY."