Manhattan Civil Service Disability Pensions
Civil Service Disability Pensions Claims Are Complicated-Call a Manhattan Civil Law Attorney
As a New York State or New York City employee or municipal worker, it is very likely that you qualify for a civil service disability pension if you have become unable to work. Whether due to an accident, illness or other disability, if you can't make ends meet after years of working hard for NY State, NYC or another NY town, you've come to the right place. We bring over 90 years of experience in helping injured or sick Manhattan civil servants who are laid up and unable to stay on the job, doing all we can to go after the NYC workers compensation they deserve.
The complicated civil service disability pension system can be overwhelming, especially if you are ill or in pain, and can prove to be an impossible task to tackle on your own. Just understanding municipal disability pensions is a challenge, as there are many types of civil service disability claims for which you may be eligible, depending on the type of work you did and for how long. Your potential benefits depend on which "Tier" you are in, which is determined by the day that you joined or rejoined either the New York City, New York State or local retirement system.
Do I qualify for a civil service disability pension?
To qualify for a civil service disability pension in Manhattan or anywhere in New York, you generally need to have a physical or mental impairment that renders you permanently unable to perform your job duties. Some common examples include:
- Work-related accidents – Injuries from workplace accidents, such as falls, machinery accidents, or construction site incidents, if they permanently impair your ability to work.
- Occupational diseases - Examples include respiratory diseases from exposure to toxic substances, repetitive stress injuries, or conditions caused by exposure to harmful chemicals or substances.
- Chronic illnesses – Conditions such as heart disease, kidney disease, or severe arthritis.
- Back and spine Injuries – Serious back and spine injuries, such as herniated discs, spinal cord injuries, or severe chronic back pain, if they result in a permanent inability to perform job duties.
- Joint injuries – Severe joint injuries, including knee injuries, shoulder injuries, or hip injuries, that cause permanent impairment and prevent you from performing your job duties.
- Neurological disorders – Disorders such as multiple sclerosis (MS), Parkinson's disease, or traumatic brain injuries that significantly impact your ability to work.
Each case is evaluated on an individual basis, and the eligibility criteria and specific requirements for a disability pension can vary depending on your job classification, years of service, and other factors. That’s why it’s important to hire an experienced attorney who handles New York civil service disability pensions.
Obtain a Better NY State or City Pension Settlement With Us Fighting For Your Rights
You may have already been told that your civil service disability claim was denied and given the run-around by intimidating pension administrators. With us by your side, you will significantly improve your chances of finally claiming the Manhattan civil service pension payments you have coming to you. We will also fight to ensure that any Social Security Disability, workers compensation or negligence lawsuit claim that applies to your situation is successful and results in your rightful restitution.
We can help you gather the necessary medical documentation, handle all communications with agencies, and guide you through the process every step of the way. If your claim is denied, our attorneys will provide aggressive representation during the appeals process.
For an Accurate Civil Service Disability Application, Contact a Diligent NY Civil Service Lawyer
After working for NY so hard for so many years, put our eight decades of experience and resources to work for you, so that you can get the financial support and peace of mind you need at this difficult time. Our legal opponents know how much attention to detail we apply to each and every case, and that we intend to win, which is why they typically make a favorable settlement offer to our clients instead of facing us in court. With us in your corner, you'll be in skilled hands.
Call Pasternack Tilker Ziegler Walsh Stanton & Romano, LLP at (212) 341-7900 or contact us online for a free evaluation. We also represent Manhattan union members and offer full-service legal representation for all worker claims or lawsuits you may need to file.
551 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10176
By Car: Take 5th Avenue four blocks south of St. Patrick's Cathedral. Our office is between 45th and 46th Street.
By Train: Take the 7 to 5th Avenue; or the B, D, F, or M to 47-50 Streets - Rockefeller Center.